Group of students sitting around a table

Course Waivers

A student unable to take courses required by his or her major because he or she is ineligible to participate may resolve the difficulty in one of the following ways:

  • The student may seek a waiver to substitute another course for the one that presents the difficulty.
  • The student may seek a waiver to fulfill these requirements with equivalent work done independently. He or she must obtain a waiver of the requirement(s) from the department in which the course is offered, and should then proceed to register as described above for independent study. The 3.00 QPA requirement also applies to students taking an independent study under these circumstances, and a waiver should only be considered on an exception basis. The student’s transcript will show credit received for independent study, not for the required course. The “Application for Waiver or Substitution” must be approved by the Assistant/Associate Dean of the school in which the student is matriculated and by the Chairperson of the department of the waived course. If the course to be waived is part of the University Core Curriculum, it must also be approved by the Office of the Dean of the Dyson College of Arts and Sciences.