Resumption of Studies
In order to resume their enrollment at Pace University after an interruption due to, among other reasons, a leave of absence pursuant to the Leave of Absence Policy or Medical Leave of Absence Policy, dismissals due to unsatisfactory academic performance, dismissals or suspensions due to disciplinary issues and, in certain circumstances, withdrawals, students must file a Resumption of Studies Application with the Office of the Registrar.1,2
In order to resume their studies at the University, at least three weeks prior to the commencement of the semester in which they wish to resume their studies, subject to the exceptions identified below, students must: 3
- Apply to resume their studies on their home campus.
- Complete a Resumption of Studies Application.
- Submit the completed Resumption of Studies Application for approval to the chair of the department in which the student’s major is housed, or the assistant or associate dean of the school or college in which the student is enrolled, or the student’s academic advisor. Approval given to resume studies may be subject to certain conditions.
- Arrange for official transcripts from any university or college attended since the student’s last enrollment at Pace University to be sent to the Office of the Registrar at the University. (As stated in the Leave of Absence Policy and Medical Leave of Absence Policy, transfer credits for courses taken elsewhere during the leave of absence must be approved in advance by Pace University; otherwise, they may not be accepted by the University.)
- Submit the completed Resumption of Studies Application with the signature of approval to the Office of the Registrar.
- Clear all “holds” on the student’s account, including, without limitation, payment of all past due balances.
- Provide whatever additional documentation or approvals the University may request.
- Students are required to confer with an academic advisor before registering for any courses.
Exceptions to Procedure
In addition to any exceptions in the letter granting a medical leave of absence applicable to students applying to resume their studies after the medical leave, the procedure described directly above is subject to the following exceptions:
- One semester prior to the semester in which they wish to resume their studies, students in the School of Education, the Lienhard School of Nursing and the Physician Assistant Program must submit their completed Resumption of Studies Application to the Dean of the School of Education and Dean of the College of Health Professions, respectively, prior to submitting it to the Office of the Registrar.
- International students who intend to resume their studies must first confer with a representative of the International Students and Scholars Office at least one semester prior to the semester in which they wish to resume their studies.
Degree Requirements and Graduation Date
Ordinarily, the degree requirements applicable to the student’s declared major will not change due to the interruption of the student’s studies. Nevertheless, there are circumstances when the degree requirements or program offerings will change while the student is on a leave of absence, e.g., requirements of the New York State Education Department, accrediting agencies or applicable law.
The time within which a student is required to complete the degree requirements ordinarily will not change because of a leave of absence, although the graduation date may change. For example, a student who is required to complete the degree requirements within eight semesters is scheduled to graduate in May 2016 takes a leave of absence in the Spring 2015 semester. Because of the one-semester absence, the student’s graduation date may be postponed one semester until December 2016 at which time he or she will have been enrolled for eight semesters. However, a student’s graduation date may be postponed in excess of the number of semesters he or she was on a leave of absence if the student is enrolled in a program with required course sequences and the prerequisite courses are not offered every semester.
Students should check with their academic advisor when resuming their studies about the consequences, if any, of the interruption of their studies on degree requirements and graduation date.
Students interested in financial aid should speak to a representative in the Financial Aid Office about whether they are eligible for financial aid upon their resumption of studies.
Ordinarily, Pace-funded merit awards will be restored upon a student’s resumption of studies after a leave of absence in accordance with the Leave of Absence Policy or Medical Leave of Absence Policy provided
- all other requirements for such merit aid are satisfied, and
- the student resumes his or her studies by the date identified and approved in the Leave of Absence Application or Medical Leave of Absence Application.
If a student does not resume his or her studies on or before the date identified and approved in the Leave of Absence Application or Medical Leave of Absence Application or obtain an extension of the leave of absence if the student is eligible for one, Pace-funded merit awards may be excluded from future financial aid awards. Pace-funded merit awards are not restored for students resuming their studies after a leave of absence due to a dismissal for academic reasons or a dismissal or suspension for disciplinary reasons. (Related information about the reinstatement of Pace-funded merit awards may be found in the Reinstatement of Pace-funded Merit Award Following a Medical Leave of Absence Policy.)
Information about a leave of absence due to military service and resumption of studies may be found in the Military Leave of Absence Policy.
This Resumption of Studies Policy is not applicable to students who interrupted their enrollment at Pace University, whether or not pursuant to the Leave of Absence Policy or Medical Leave of Absence Policy, and now wish to enroll in the Pace Online program. For information about the Pace Online program, including eligibility criteria, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Students resuming their studies after a medical leave of absence must consult and comply with the terms and conditions for resuming their studies set forth in the letter granting them a medical leave of absence. If there is a conflict between this Resumption of Studies Policy and the terms and conditions in the letter, the letter supersedes the conflicting portions of this Policy. Students should contact the University Registrar for clarification about any conflicts as well as for complete information about the procedure for resuming their studies after a medical leave of absence.